Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The streak resets


Well I may have tempted the fates a bit too much with my last post. Today Grace had a seizure and went to visit her friends at St. Mary. She also got a ride courtesy of our local ambulance company.
As I stopped at WaWa to pick up our heavy cream, I ran into the paramedic who treated Grace this morning. I have not seen him since he was at our house on Christmas day - 67 days ago. He stopped me to check how Grace was doing. He had some questions about the diet as well.
Grace caught whatever virus had Rita under the weather for the last five days. Rita was running a high fever and just generally felt miserable. We tried to keep the kids apart to keep the germs from spreading but they spread anyhow.
The good news is that this was a short seizure. It responded to the Diastat - an emergency rescue medicine to stop the seizures. In the past, Grace has been resistant to the Diastat and has had long seizures. In that regard, today was a victory for Grace and the diet. This was one of my measures of success when we first started this diet. We wanted the length/duration of Grace's seizures to decrease. We have been repeatedly told to expect break-through seizures.
Here is a photo of the girls from a few weeks ago. I think they look cute together. This was on Tom's camera phone - along with photos of feet from the ER today! I decided to include this one - no one wants to see feet!
Marie


2 comments:

  1. Well, as Lili would say, when disappointed
    "OH Man!!"
    However, small victories are also welcome, and we are happy that this was a short seizure. Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom Marie Rita Grace
    My thoughts and prayers are with you .
    Love Ms Trudy

    ReplyDelete