Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Circle of Life

We started out the day with a call in the wee hours of the morning informing us that a beloved aunt has succumb to cancer. If all continues as it is going, we will end the day welcoming a new grand-neice and the start of a new generation to our family.

I am leaving tomorrow evening for Scotland to attend my aunt's funeral. I am trying to prepare the girls for the fact that I will be gone for a few days. Rita is much easier to talk to. Gracie just tells me not to leave her! She grabs on to my arm and tells me with her pouty lips that I am not going without her. I am already wondering what I will miss while I am gone.

Grace started in a new room at day care this week. This is officially pre-school. Within a week she has gone from only counting 1 to 3 to now counting 1 to 10 - she usually gets all of the numbers; sometimes she skips 6 or 7. I wonder how in one week she went from only counting 1 - 2 - 3 to counting all the way to 10.

Grace has had trouble with her colors for a while now. She can tell you which items match and arrange objects by colors quite accurately but she can not tell you the color itself. This is one of the items that has the doctor saying that she may need cognative therapy. We will take her to the Intermediate Unit again in October to be re-evaluated. This morning she blew me away - we were playing with a bunch of little rubber bracelets; matching like colors. She correctly identified red, green, blue and yellow. She didn't get orange right, she called it green but she knew that the orange did not match the real green. Where did this come from? Just two weeks ago, she was getting frustrated trying to name the colors when we played a matching game with the pieces from the Trouble game. These are mostly the same colors and she got them all right today. This child amazes me at times!

Grace also started her dance class this week - tap and ballet in one class. She walked out of the class just beaming. This is something she really wanted to do and she was so pleased to be able to go to dance class. She had gymnastics class this morning. She liked it but not quite as much as her dream dance class!

Grace still fights this diet from time to time and at varying degrees. The battle to keep her eating and to keep her weight on is so worth it. Weeks like this just affirm that we are winning the war over epilepsy!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your Aunt. Sounds like Grace is doing great!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade also tends to skip 6. Poor, poor 6. :)

    I'm not here to say anything sensible. I only just figured out that by using Safari on my computer, I can FINALLY comment on your blog! My other two browsers would never let me!

    ReplyDelete